Episode 026, January 22, 2020
Dee Ann Turner, Chick-fil-a
- Selecting talent versus hiring people
- Creating a company language that matches the existing behavior
- The key to retaining good talent
Dee Ann Turner started her Chick-fil-A career as a secretary to the Vice President of Human Resources and eventually moved up to the VP of Talent and HR becoming the very first female officer of the company. During her 33 years at Chick-fil-A, Dee Ann focused on growing the renowned culture of the company by recruiting for the corporate staff as well as selecting franchisees.
Dee Ann now owns her own organization which focuses on providing keynote speaking, consulting, and coaching around transforming and growing companies’ culture and talent. She has visited many corporations to speak about topics like The Recipe for a Remarkable Culture, How to Win with Who, The Secret Sauce of Legendary Customer Service, and more.
Dee Ann is also a 2x best selling author of Bet on Talent and It’s my Pleasure. Her books focus on creating remarkable talent and culture within an organization as well as its impact on customer loyalty as well as the entire company. Purchase Dee Ann’s latest book, Bet on Talent.
- 0:55 - The story of how Dee Ann Turner started a career at Chick-fil-A.
- 3:50 - What about working in HR at Chick-fil-A excited Dee Ann?
- 7:13 - Biggest lessons learned from working as a secretary to the previous VP.
- 8:57 - The three C’s to look for when building your team.
- 12:50 - The difference between hiring people and selecting talent.
- 15:27 - Dee Ann’s go-to questions during interviews.
- 17:22 - How to recognize a candidate’s chemistry during an interview process.
- 19:18 - The implementation of Chick-fil-A’s signature response: “My pleasure”
- 23:35 - What is the key to retain and grow talented people?
- 26:17 - Dee Ann’s experience being the first female officer at Chick-fil-A.
- 28:05 - Rapid fire questions